- Project LocationRockville, MD
- ScopeFacade Renovation
- Size3,740 SF
- ClientFordham Development Company, LLC
- ArchitectRounds Vanduzer Architects
Category / Retail
- An old diner in an existing shopping center was transformed into retail space with a new exterior facade, which improved the image and integrated the design effectively with the entire shopping center. The interior of the space was prepared as a shell for future tenant build-out.
- As the pre-construction consultant, TW collaborated with the owner on budget and timeline development in preparation of the final design.
- In the construction phase, TW managed the general construction of the project, acting as partner to the owner.
- The new facade featured new brick columns, a storefront, an exterior insulation and finish system (EIFS), new parapet, a standing seam roof, and an attractive corner tower feature.
Why Therrien Waddell?
- TW was highly recommended to the owner because of industry reputation, and the confidence developed during the ensuing collaborative partnership resulted in a successful renovation.
Challenges and Results
- Numerous adverse conditions, unforeseen during the design phase of the project, were discovered during demolition. These included multiple interior floor levels, rusted interior structural steel columns, and inadequate electrical feed for new future tenant spaces.
- TW provided guidance and support to the owner’s representative while navigating the challenges, presenting value options, solutions, and budget alternatives.
- Completion dates were achieved and new retail tenants were able to proceed with their interior build-outs.