- Project LocationColumbia, MD
- ScopeNew Building
- Size45,000 SF
- ClientBaxley Development
- ArchitectWH Stablein, AIA & Associates
Category / Commercial
- Sited on 1.77 acres with more than 100 parking spaces, this new four-story building featured subdivided space for individual condo units with separate metered utilities and restrooms.
- The impressive structure boasts a two-story lobby balcony and a unique curvilinear exterior design with tinted butt-glazed glass and upper-level lobby balconies.
- As construction manager at risk, TW had a vital role in project support, leadership and management, providing:
- Multiple cost options
- Construction detail impacts
- Successive budgets and schedules
- Management of the overall building construction and site development
Why Therrien Waddell?
- “Our past successful collaborations with the project owner and also with the architect put us in a strong position for selection as a trusted advisor and implementer during the design phase through the construction phases,” says TW co-owner Jerry Therrien.
Challenges and Results
- A structural building information modeling (BIM) evaluation of the steel frame provided discovery and early intervention of a structural design issue, saving the client substantial costs for materials and fabrication. This is a great example of the benefits of involving TW early in the construction process.
- When Mother Nature wouldn’t cooperate with the construction schedule, TW devised a solution for excavating a mechanical basement during inclement weather—preventing a scheduling problem and enabling work to proceed.
- Safety first! Construction projects of this magnitude present safety risks, but TW is proud of another successful project without accidents or OSHA incidents.