- Project LocationGaithersburg, MD
- ScopeTenant Build-Out
- Size4,000 SF
- ClientGeneDx, Inc.
- ArchitectARZ Architects & Planners
Category / Science & Technology
- One of TW’s multiple biotech interior build-outs for GeneDx, this one consisted of a 4,000 SF space expansion for genetic testing and diagnostic lab use.
- The scope of work included new electrical, plumbing and ventilation systems for the 2,000 SF lab, reconfiguration of the reception/waiting area, and construction of a new conference room and surrounding offices.
- As construction consultant and general contractor, TW assisted in developing the scope of work, construction documents, estimates, and cost saving recommendations while collaborating with the architect.
Why Therrien Waddell?
- TW was referred by a prior lab client. The relationship with GeneDx started when they graduated from Montgomery County’s incubator program, moved into independent lab space, and needed a trustworthy contractor for space expansion.
- The Owner was impressed by TW’s demonstrated ability to plan and manage costs as well as client expectations.
- TW also was able to show that we could manage projects in occupied space with minimal disruption.
Challenges and Results
- The client emphasized the need for collaboration in space design decisions, as space efficiency, functional requirements, and costs were essential.
- It was imperative for TW to minimize disruptions to the employee environment.
- Client project management teams changed, but TW was able to consistently deliver the desired service and attention.
- Cost consciousness and sensitivity to client needs made TW the “go to” expansion resource for the next 11 years, enabling GeneDX to grow from 2,000 SF to 80,000 SF.